Sunday, July 18, 2010

Whip It

I am enjoying being a part of Netflix this summer. I joined to watch the tv show, Bones, but I decided the one DVD I get out at a time would be movies I had missed in theatres. So, Whip It was the first one I got in the mail. By the way, netflix is an awesome deal. It is only $8.99 a month and you can stream unlimited movies/tv shows online and then you get one DVD through the mail at a time. I am loving it and am positive you will as well. So there is my plug for netflix.

The movie was fantastic. This was Drew Barrymore's directing debut and I think she did an amazing job. The ambience of the film was typical of independent films in that it wasn't a perfect feel like much of mainstream Hollywood films portray. It also was pretty funny and full of roller derby action. I think that sport actually is more brutal than rugby! The movie had Ellen Page in it which made me skeptical about me enjoying it because I hated Juno, which she stared in. Basically, I like Ellen and her misfortune of being in that movie is just that, unfortunate, because she does a great job in Whip It. In fact, I think she is a great actress(sorry for doubting you abilities based on the movie last time, Ellen.) She does a great job of playing a normal, average, everyday kind of girl!

Not only is this a sports film about coming of age but it also shows the love of parents as their kid does something unexpected. Instead of being beauty pagents like her mother wants her to, Ellen's character chooses the derby. There she finds the self confidence that the pagents were taking away from her. I love movies where people find their passion and, in a sense, their happiness. Watch this movie; you won't be disappointed!

It earns a drive you into the wall award!

No comments:

Post a Comment