Monday, January 10, 2011

Country Strong



Oh. My. Goodness. This movie is the movie to see this year. Crazy how it is only January and I am saying this. Seriously, as the final credits were rolling, I was wondering why they released this movie in January and not in December. I am not sure when movies have to be out in order to get nominations for this years' awards shows but if this movie isn't considered until next year that will be crazy. It is SO good.

Gwyneth Paltrow has always been one of my favorites, but she totally and utterly shocked me in this film. She is an amazing singer. I loved listening to her sing in this movie. I think I am for sure going to have to buy the album! She also does an amazing job making a woman, who may be a little rough around the edges, lovable. She plays a country singer who is an alcoholic. A tough part for anybody, not for Gwyneth though.

Some of the movie was a bit controversial. Little bits of sex and it does have adultery, but not the in your face kind that is often in movies more allusion than point plank scenes. I wasn't ever offended by any of the scenes. In fact, I was impressed by the lack of nudity. I think Ms. Paltrow has a pretty good no nudity clause in her contracts.

Basically, the story follows Paltrow's character as she is dealing with coming out of rehab. She finds support in a man who is not her husband. He is a country singer as well, who is taken under Paltrow's character's wing. He is the opening act of her comeback tour shows. Her husband, played by the handsome Tim McGraw, is her manager and he is trying to cope both with the loss of their child and his wife's alcoholism. The story follows their struggle's both in their relationship and with alcoholism. It also follows the other country singer's journey with fame and in the web of relationship that he has with Paltrow's character.

Watch this movie. Today if you can. It is amazing. Great music, inspiring story, and fun.

I give it 6 Grammies.

No comments:

Post a Comment